Puffed wheat squares were a favourite of mine growing up. Unfortunately, the recipe we made as kids wasn’t the healthiest option. This recipe will bring you back to your childhood favourite, but without the gluten, corn syrup and margarine.
These squares are a perfect afternoon pick me up and take under 10 minutes to make. Kids LOVE these as well.
Makes 12 large squares
- 10 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the 10 cups of puffed wheat cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil. Whisk in the brown rice syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla and continue to whisk until combined and smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil then remove from heat and pour over top of the puffed wheat cereal.
- Mix until combined and the cereal is well coated.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking pan and press the mixture down evenly in the pan.
- Place the pan into the fridge or freezer for at least 20 minutes so that the mixture sets before cutting into squares.